Mayor Patterson-Howard Donates Blood To Help Address the Current Blood Shortage That Has Reached Crisis Levels
In an effort to address the current blood shortage that has reached crisis levels, Empire City Casino partnered with New York Blood Center (NYBC) to host an on-site community blood drive.
Electeds from all levels of government showed their support and for the much-needed blood drive.
DPW Will Host a Sewer Education & Demonstration
Tuesday May 18th
Come witness a Manhole Rehabilitation with our Sewer Crew on Farrell Avenue between Hillside and Brookside Avenues.
First Time Home Buyer Webinar
Information on the City of Mount Vernon Homes Restoration Program, which is sponsoring a First Time Home Buyer Webinar to be conducted by Westchester Residential Opportunities, Inc. Here is the website to register: Westchester Residential Opportunities | Fair Housing Opportunities (wroinc.org)
Events planned for Mount Vernon Public Works Week May 16-22
Mount Vernon DPW repairs Overlook Street
As of last month, Overlook Street is no longer sinking, once and for all! Over the past few months, the Department of Public Works performed the following work:
– Relined 462 Linear Feet of the 18-inch Storm Sewer Pipe
– Installed 160 Linear Feet of new 8-inch SDR35 Sanitary Sewer Pipe
– Rehabilitated 2 Catch Basins located at the center of the street, which was causing severe flooding
– Repaved 100 Linear Feet of Asphalt to level-off the street surface, which was previously sagging and we anticipate resurfacing additional areas this summer.
This project also completed the list of specified construction projects outlined in the EPA’s Injunctive Relief Order.
The Mount Vernon Youth Bureau C.A.P.P. Program Hosts First Annual ‘Let Your Colors Shine” Event
Mobile Shredder Truck in Mount Vernon on August 21, 2021
The mobile shredder truck has been rescheduled for Mount Vernon residents to Saturday August 21, 2021. From 10am until 1pm. Location to be determined at a later time.
All residents attending shredder events must follow these safety guidelines to protect themselves and staff.
• Residents must remain in their vehicles at all times.
• Documents should be boxed and placed in the truck/hatchback of the resident’s vehicle, if possible, or in the back seat of the resident’s vehicle.
• Staff will remove the box(es) directly from the resident’s vehicle and place them in the shredder mechanism.
• Vehicles will be queued at a safe distance from staff and only one vehicle will be serviced at a time.
• Within designated areas, residents are required to wear masks.
• Please be mindful to observe all posted signage and directions from staff.
Baseball is Back in Mount Vernon
DPW Advisory for Metal Pick up
Please be advised that metal pick-up will begin Thursday, April 8, 2021. DPW will begin scheduling appointments the week of March 29, 2021. You may call 914-665-2465 or 914-665-2343 to schedule an appointment. Please note that there will be no appointments scheduled during holiday weeks.
The following items can be picked up by appointment:
– Hot water tanks
– Metal cabinets
– Refrigerators (EPA sticker is required, showing freon has been removed)
– Cast iron tubs
– Metal sinks
– Metal desks
– Washers / Dryers
– Grills (NO PROPANE TANKS)
– Sofa bed frames (*frames only)
***Yard Waste Update***
Yard waste collection will commence in April. Yard waste must be in an open container or brown paper refuse bag for proper collection.
Soon, families will be able to apply for retroactive reimbursements to cover the cost of burying their loved ones lost to COVID-19. The program is expected to open up in April, but if you want to apply for reimbursement, you should collect documentation now. FEMA will only award COVD-19 funeral assistance for a deceased individual on a single application.
If multiple individuals contribute toward funeral expenses, they should register under a single application as applicant and co-applicant The deceased’s documentation status is not considered, but the applicant must be U.S. citizens, legal residents, asylees, refugees, or non-citizen nationals.
The applicant must provide:
- A copy of the death certificate. The death certificate must indicate the death “may have been caused by” or “was likely a result of” COVID-19 or COVID-19 like symptoms. Similar phrases that indicate a high likelihood of COVID-19 are also considered sufficient.
- Proof of funeral expenses incurred. Documentation (receipts, funeral home contract, etc.) must include the applicant’s name as the responsible person for the expenses, the deceased individual’s name, the amount of funeral expenses, and that funeral expenses were incurred after January 20, 2020.
Informal Property Assessment Grievance
In lieu of the annual Board of Assessment Review (Grievance Day). The Assessor encourages any taxpayer who would like to contest their assessed value to take advantage of our Informal Grievance Period January 2nd through April 30th each calendar year.
Informal Grievance Filing Procedure
1. Write a letter to the Assessor Office expressing that you would like to grieve your assessment.
(Please provide your name property address, phone number and email address.)
2. Provide an appraisal or a CMA (Comparable Market Analysis; a Realtor can provide this service. This is the best way to prove market value)
3. You may provide any other supporting evidence i.e., pictures of interior & exterior. repairs if any?
The Department of Assessment Address
City Hall Roosevelt Square
Mount Vernon NY. 10550
NOTICE TO ALL PROPERTY OWNERS
IF your property had a fire please contact the Department of Assessment immediately so that we may conduct a field inspection and adjust your assessment based on the percentage of damage. Please also provide your contact information.
The Department of Assessment mailed out re-certification letters for all Veterans please return via email, fax or mail, by May 1, 2021.
The Department of Assessment Address:
City Hall Roosevelt Square
Mount Vernon NY. 10550
Food Distribution Schedule for March & April
Have a Public Works issue? Contact DPW
The new Sanitation Schedule has been available online since January. Click the links above to download them.