City Clerk

William Holmes

City Clerk

  • Role



As the Office of Records Management, the City Clerk's Office is involved with many aspects of city government including the City Council, our legislative body, and The Board of Estimate and Contract, which approves city expenditures. 

The City Clerk's Office is also known as the Licensing Bureau. Over 91 different types of City and New York State licenses and permits are issued to individuals and businesses.  In addition, Primary and General Elections for the City of Mount Vernon are coordinated by the City Clerk's Office. The City Clerk, as Registrar, is responsible for maintaining Mount Vernon's Birth and Death Records.

The Office of the Registrar is responsible for maintaining vital records pertaining to births and deaths occurring in the City of Mount Vernon. Birth records are maintained from 1886 to the present and death records are maintained from 1885 to the present.

Individuals needing certified copies of these records for such diverse purposes as passports, school entrance, proof of citizenship for job applications, license applications, organized sports, insurance or governmental benefits, can obtain certificates. Requests can be made in person or by mail. All requests must be accompanied with proper identification and applicable fees.

Generally, the records are available only to the individual or a member of his or her immediate family (for example, a birth certificate is available to both the individual and to a child's parents, and Death certificates are available to the surviving spouse, parent, child and sibling of the deceased person. Proof of relationship to the deceased is required. Siblings and children must provide a long-form birth certificate with parent’s names. New York State Public Health Law (Article 41) generally governs the release of these records in New York State outside of New York City. Parents wishing to change the names of their children can obtain documents required for filing with the New York State Department of Health in the local office. 

Deputy Registrar

Kelley Thomas

The Mount Vernon Cable Television Advisory Board was organized in 1983 to stimulate and facilitate community use if the electronic media.



For more information please contact the Office of the City Clerk at 914-665-2348


The Advisory Board consists of nine members, serving one and two year renewable terms, representing the Mount Vernon community. Four members are appointed by the City Council, two members are appointed by the Mayor, two members are appointed by the Mount Vernon Board of Education, and a representative from the cable franchise holds the remaining seat. Members serve without compensation. Elected officials are not members of the Board.  The Board is authorized and empowered to do the following:

  • To seek the advice, representation and participation of all citizens, organizations and groups which comprise the Mount Vernon community, including representatives of all socioeconomic levels.
  • To make special efforts to ensure that the telecommunications needs of group. Which heretofore have traditionally not had the opportunity to use such facilities, are considered, and to continually investigate various means of meeting such needs.
  • To work in cooperation with the cable franchise holder in Mount Vernon to make a local access studio and equipment available to the public.
  • To work with the cable franchise holder in Mount Vernon to seek out and encourage public access use by all citizens and groups in Mount Vernon.
  • To make every effort to ensure that persons seeking to produce programming representing any and all points of view will be permitted to use the facilities and that such programming will be consistent with the Constitutional guaranties of speech and the laws of the United States and the State of New York.
  • To take such steps and undertake such programs as will enhance and foster the aforementioned objectives and to ensure quality programming for this community.

Those citizens wishing to address concerns to the Cable Television Advisory Board should contact the Office of the City Clerk.

Mount Vernon Taxicab Commission


For more information please contact the Office of the City Clerk at 914-665-2348

The Mount Vernon Taxicab Commission conducts research into the use of taxicabs within the City of Mount Vernon. The Commission reviews the provisions of Chapter 237 of the Code of the City of Mount Vernon entitled "Taxicabs" and makes recommendations to the City Council about taxi fares, zones, accommodations for seniors and the disabled, vehicle identification, vehicle inspection and the numbers and type of taxicab licenses issued. The Commission has the additional responsibility to conduct research into the use of taxicabs within the City of Mount Vernon utilizing the advice and participation of all citizens, organizations and groups within the City of Mount Vernon.


Taxicab Drivers and Owners

The Commission also conducts hearings to which applicants for licenses may be entitled including appeals of revocation, suspension and cancellation of a taxi driver's license or taxicab license that is not the result of a judicial conviction. The Appellate Review Procedure

  • The licensee shall file an appeal with the Taxi Commission within ten (10) business days after the date of decision or determination complained of on a written form prescribed by the Commissioner.
  • The Commission shall schedule and hold a hearing within thirty (30) days of receipt of the appeal.
  • The Commission shall in each case render a decision within (30) days from the date of oral argument, which may affirm, wholly or partly, or may modify or reverse the determination appealed from.
  • The Commission may grant a new hearing upon written request on a form prescribed by the Commission, which shall include a statement of the reason therefore filed with the Commission when it shall appear that the ground is either newly discovered evidence or fraud, or both. Appeals of the Commission's determination shall be pursuant to Article 78 of the Civil Practice Law and Rules.

Taxicab Consumers

Consumers of taxicabs having problems may file complaints with the Taxicab Commission at the Office of the City Clerk, Room 104, 1 Roosevelt Square, Mount Vernon, New York 10550. Complaints must be in writing identifying the company complained of, driver's license number or car plate number.

Requirements to Obtain a Marriage License from the Mount Vernon City Clerk’s Office

Please note that marriage licenses are only valid for use in New York State

The license is valid after 24 hours and good for 60 days. 

The fee is $40, Cash or Money Order only.

Couple must apply for a marriage license in person at the Office of the City Clerk, Room 104 

weekdays by appointment only. No walk-ins allowed. For an appointment please call 914-665-2348. If you are more than 10 minutes late for your appointment it will be rescheduled to avoid conflicts with social distancing policies.

On the line below the highlighted area can you please insert in bold: At this time the Office of the City Clerk will be accepting appointments for Westchester residents only.

Both parties must provide the following documents:

  1. Valid Government Issued Photo Identification:

(Choose any one of the following)

- Current Driver’s License (U.S. only)

- Current State-issued Non-Driver’s I.D.

- Valid Passport

- Original Naturalization Papers

- U.S. Military I.D.

  1. Certified (raised seal) Long Form (one with parents’ names) Birth Certificate. If the form is in a foreign language, a certified English translation must accompany the original.)
  2. Proof of current address (e.g.-lease, utility bill, or other correspondence)
  3. If this is not the first marriage, certified copies of all divorces/annulments/death documents must be supplied.

A Social Security Card is no longer a required document.

Any documents in a foreign language must be translated into English by a Certified Translator.

If you have additional questions, please phone the Office of the Mount Vernon City Clerk at (914) 665-2348 during business hours.

Please click on the link below to request a certified copy of your marriage license.

Request for Marriage Certification

(Please note: this form must be notarized, driver license copies will no longer be accepted)

Birth or Death Certificates

No walk-ins allowed. For an appointment please call 914-665-2356. If you are more than 20 minutes late, your appointment will be rescheduled to avoid conflicts with social distancing. In order to receive a certificate of birth or death, the person must have been born or died in the City of Mount Vernon. Please be prepared to provide the name of the individual on the certificate as well as the date of death or birth of the individual.  The fee is $10.00 each. Genealogy copies are $11.00 each.

Who is eligible to obtain a copy of a birth certificate? Person named on the birth certificate and parents of the person named on the birth certificate.

Who is eligible to obtain a copy of a death certificate?  The spouse, parent, child, or sibling of the deceased can obtain a certified copy of the death certificate. Please provide proof of your relationship to the deceased when applying for the copy.

Is anyone else is eligible?  Yes, if one has a:

  • Documented lawful right or claim
  • Documented medical need
  • New York State Court Order

Who is eligible to obtain a genealogy birth certificate copy? Anyone can request a genealogy copy if the person is deceased and the certificate has been on file for at least 75 years.

Who is eligible to obtain a genealogy death certificate copy? Anyone can request a genealogy copy once the death certificate has been on file for at least 50 years.

Please click on either link below to request a birth or death certificate.

Request for Birth Certificate

Request for Death Certificate

Genealogy Birth Certificate

Genealogy Death Certificate

Following is a list and required fees of other licenses/permits issued by the City Clerk’s Office:


Bingo Licenses

Games of Chance/Occasion$25.00
Bell Jar/Year$25.00
Commercial Lessor License/Year$25.00
Additional Bingo License3% Net Proceeds
Additional Fee – Games of Chance5% Net Proceeds
Additional Fee – Bell Jar2% Net Proceeds
Commercial Lessor Agreement FeeVariable


Dog Licenses

UN-Neutered Dog – Under 6 Months$10.50
UN-Neutered Dog License$13.50
Neutered Dog License$5.50
Lost Dog Tag$3.00


Taxi Licenses

Original Taxi Driver License  $40.00
Renewal Taxi Driver License  $40.00
Original Taxi Owner License  $500.00
Renewal Taxi Owner License  $500.00
Taxi Owner License Transfer  $10.00
Driver Badges – Lost License  $15.00
Taxi Renewal Late Fees  $1.00 to $10.00


Peddler’s Licenses

Peddler’s License – Truck or Vehicle  $600.00
Peddler’s License – Cart/Carry/Stand  $250.00
Peddler License – Veteran  No Charge
Peddler License Seniors Age 65   & Older  50% off
Peddler Badge Card  $10.00
Itinerant (Special Event) Peddler  $225.00


Miscellaneous Licenses

Junk License$150.00
Going Out of Business/Month$25.00
Transient Merchant/Month$25.00
Film on City Property/Day$1,500.00
Curb Lowering Permits/Linear Foot$10.00
Circular Distribution License$100.00
Auctioneer License$200.00
Auction Permit – Per Day$100.00
Amusement Device/Per Device$100.00
Amusement Device – Prorated After 6 Months/Device$50.00
Amusement Device – Temporary Per Device$10.00
Jukebox – Prorated After 6 Months/Device$15.00
Theatre License – One Performance$15.00 – $62.50
Theatre License – 6 Months$62.50
Theatre License – 6 Months to 1 Year$125.00
Auto Wrecker License$150.00
Pawn Broker/Year$350.00
Street Sidewalk Obstruction (Min. $75.00 Charge)$5.00/Linear Foot
Sidewalk Cafe PermitTable: $60.00 Chair: $10.00
Sidewalk Display/Year$360.00
Private Carting License/Vehicle$180.00
Tow Truck Owner License$150.00
Tow Truck Driver License$50.00
Towing from Parking Lot Permit$100.00 per lot
Private Parking Lot – 25 Vehicles or Less/Year$50.00
Private Parking Lot – 26 to 50 Vehicles/Year$100.00
Private Parking Lot – 51 to 99 Vehicles/Year$150.00
Private Parking Lot – More Than 100$200.00
Dance Hall – Under 6 Months$25.00
Dance Hall – Over 6 Months to 1 Year$50.00
Solicitor’s License – 1 Year$200.00
Solicitor’s Identification$5.00
Sound Truck Permit/Day$5.00
Parade/Procession or Motorcade Permit$100.00
Religious/Political Parade/Procession or Motorcade PermitNo Charge
Social Club License/Year$250.00
City Street Opening$350.00

City Maps, Charters and Codes

General Ordinance – Code BookLINK TO E-CODE
Housing Code/PageLINK TO E-CODE
Fire Prevention BookLINK TO E-CODE
Zoning Ordinance Book ($4 P/H Charge if Mailed)LINK TO E-CODE
City CharterLINK TO E-CODE
Small Street or Election Map$5.00
Large Street or Election Map$10.00
Small Zoning Map$10.00
Large Zoning Map$20.00