The Assessor’s mission is to provide fair and equitable valuations to all real property (residential, vacant land, commercial & industrial) for the purpose of property taxations for City, County, Library and School taxes. This includes, but is not limited to, the valuation of all real property, the collection of property inventory, maintenance of ownership information, and implementation of all whole and partial property tax exemptions.
Since the City’s inception in 1892, the Department of Assessment has filed and maintained all property deeds. It is in this office that the City’s tax maps are maintained and updated on a monthly basis. Current and historical information about every house, building, park and vacant lot is kept in this department’s archives.
School Tax Relief (STAR)
- New applicants who qualify for Basic or Enhanced STAR
- You will register with New York State instead of applying with your assessor.
- You will receive a STAR credit in the form of a check rather than receiving a property tax exemption (if you qualify for STAR). The dollar value of the credit will be the same as the property tax exemption. You may register on line www.tax.ny.gov or by phone 518-457-2036.
- New applicants who qualify for Enhanced STAR (or who will qualify in the future)You do not need to register separately to receive the Enhanced benefit if you’ve already registered to receive the Basic benefit.When you register for the STAR credit, the Tax Department will automatically review your application to determine whether you are eligible for the Basic or Enhanced STAR benefit amount.If you are receiving a STAR exemption and purchased your current home prior to May 1, 2014, you don’t need to register; you will continue to receive the STAR exemption.If you purchased your home between May 1, 2014, and August 1, 2015 you need to register to receive the STAR credit if:
If you purchased your home after August 1, 2015 you will need to register for the STAR credit.You may register on line www.tax.ny.gov or by phone 518-457-2036If you are already receiving the Basic or Enhanced STAR exemption on your tax bill you may apply directly with the Department of Assessment for the following changes:
- you bought your home after the 2015 STAR application deadline, or
- you did not apply for the STAR exemption for your home by the 2015 application deadline.
- You are receiving the Enhanced STAR exemption and have not enrolled in the Income Verification Program.
- You are receiving the Basic STAR exemption and wish to apply for the Enhanced STAR exemption
- You are seeking to restore a STAR exemption that you received during the 2015-2016 school year but that was subsequently discontinued due to failure to meet the income standard.
- You continue to own property but have filed a new deed due to:
If you qualify to apply for the Basic STAR you may use form RP-425-B. You must also submit proof of residence and 2017 federal or state tax return.If you qualify to apply for the Enhanced STAR you may use form RP-425-E.
- surrender of interest by a co-owner
- life estates
You must also submit proof of residence, proof of age and 2017 federal or state tax return.For annual renewal of the Enhanced STAR you may use form RP-425-Rnw. You must also submit 2017 federal or state tax return.
***New Requirements for Enhanced STAR***
New for 2019: If you’re applying or reapplying for the Enhanced STAR exemption, you must enroll in the Income Verification Program (IVP). You only need to enroll once, and you’ll receive the exemption each year, as long as you’re eligible. Please use form RP-425-IVP.
Real property Tax law Section 467 provides qualifying senior citizens with incomes not exceeding $37,399.99, age 65 and older may have their property taxes reduced by up to 50%. In order to receive this exemption senior citizen homeowners must apply and submit proof of age and income to the Assessment office by no later than May 1st of each year.
Senior Citizen Exemption RP-467
Instructions for Senior Citizen Exemption RP-467
Complaint on Real Property Assessment
2019 Board of Review
NY State School Tax Relief program provides reductions from school property taxes for owner-occupied, primary residences such as homes, condominiums, cooperative apartments, mobile homes and farm homes. New Yorkers who own and live in their one-, two-, or three-family home, condominium, cooperative apartment, mobile home or farm home are eligible for a partial exemption on their primary residence.
There are two parts to the STAR program: the “Enhanced” STAR exemption and the “Basic” STAR exemption.
Senior citizens, ages 65 years or older, with combined incomes that do not exceed $86,300 may qualify for a greater (“enhanced”) exemption. The property must be owned by a husband and wife, or by siblings, with only one of them being at least 65 years 0f age by December 31st of the year in which the exemption will begin, and have a combined income of no more than $86,300.
All other New Yorkers who own and live in their one, two, or three-family home, condominium, cooperative apartment, mobile home or farm home also are eligible for a STAR exemption on their primary residence, regardless of their age. The combine income of all owners and spouses must be less than $500,000.
STAR filing deadline is May 1st of each year.
Real Property Tax Law, Section 458, provides a partial property tax exemption to those homeowners meeting qualifying veterans criteria, for example, service in the military or certain other persons designated in the Real Property Tax Law.
Proof of service must be provided when applying in addition to proof of ownership of the property being claimed for exemption. Exemptions are granted only for portions of property used for primary residence purposes. Applications must be submitted by no later than May 1st of each year.
For more information, go to the CMV Veterans Service Agency.
Veterans Exemptions deadline is on or before May 1st.
Veterans Exemption Application
Alternative Veterans Exemption Application
Cold War Veterans Exemption Application
City of Mount Vernon Tax Assessment Rolls
2019 Assessment Roll