E X A M I N A T I O N
OPEN-COMPETITIVE EXAMINATION #65-545
DATE OF EXAMINATION: Saturday, MARCH 5, 2016
PLACE OF EXAMINATION: AB Davis Middle School – Mount Vernon, New York @ 8:30 A.M.
APPLICATION CLOSING DATE: FEBRUARY 4, 2016 at 3:00pm –no exceptions
SALARY: $47,432 – $59,650
The eligible list established from this examination will be used to fill appropriate vacancies in the City of Mount Vernon City School District.
A promotional examination is being given in conjunction with this open-competitive examination. The promotional list will be used before the open-competitive list is used.
RESIDENCY REQUIREMENTS: Candidates must be residents of the City of Mount Vernon for not less than one year prior to the date of this examination.
REQUIREMENTS FOR TAKING THE EXAM:
- Graduation from high school or possession of an equivalency diploma recognized by the State Education Department of New York; PLUS
- Three years of experience in building cleaning and maintenance activities or a carpenter, plumber, electrician or painter.
NOTE: For appointment from the resulting eligible list, applicants with a foreign high school diploma must submit a course by course evaluation of their educational credentials. You must pay the required evaluation fee. Evaluations will be accepted from services such as: WORLD EDUCATION SERVICES, INC., P.O. BOX 5087, NEW YORK, NY 10274-212-966-6311, GLOBAL LANGUAGE SERVICES, INC. 319 BROADWAY #200, NEW YORK, NY, 212-227-1994, OR INTERNATIONAL EDUCATION RESEARCH FOUNDATION, INC., P.O. BOX 3665, CULVER CIT6Y, CA. 90231.
DUTIES: This position has charge of a school building or recreation facility and performs cleaning and maintenance tasks. This is an important supervisory position involving responsibility for the efficient and economical cleaning and maintenance of a large school building, and/or related facilities. Work is performed under the general direction of the Director of Facilities, allowing considerable leeway for the exercise of independent judgment in keeping building and equipment up to approved standards of cleanliness and operation. Immediate supervision is exercised over the work of subordinate cleaning personnel. Does related work as required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES: Thorough knowledge of building cleaning practices, supplies and equipment; good knowledge of the tools, terminology and practices of one or more of the skilled trades; ability to follow difficult oral and written instructions; ability to plan and supervise the work of others; ability to complete reports; ability to get along well with others; dependability; thoroughness; honesty; integrity and physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
SUBJECTS OF EXAMINATION: The written test will cover knowledge, skills and/or abilities in the following areas:
1) ABILITY TO READ AND FOLLOW WRITTEN INSTRUCTIONS;
2) BUILDING CLEANING;
3) BUILDING OPERATION AND MAINTENANCE I;
4) OPERATION AND ROUTINE MAINTENANCE OF HEATING, VENTILATING AND AIR CONDITIONING SYSTEMS;
5) SUPERVISION AND TRAINING.
- ABILITY TO READ AND FOLLOW WRITTEN INSTRUCTIONS – These questions test for the ability to read, understand and apply written instructions for performing tasks similar to those encountered on the job. All the information needed to answer these questions will be provided in the test booklet.
- BUILDING CLEANING – These questions test for knowledge of basic principles and practices of building cleaning. They cover such areas as equipment, tools, supplies, methods and procedures for cleaning different types of surfaces and materials under various, commonly occurring circumstances.
- BUILDING OPERATION AND MAINTENANCE I– These questions test for knowledge of the basic principles, practices and techniques essential to the correct operation and maintenance of public buildings. They cover such areas as building maintenance; preventive maintenance, and minor repair of electrical and plumbing systems; methods and equipment for snow removal; building safety and equipment storage.
- OPERATION OF ROUTINE MAINTENANCE OF HEATING, VENTILATING AND AIR CONDITIONING SYSTEMS – These questions test for knowledge of basic principles, practices and techniques essential to the correct operation and maintenance of heating, ventilating and air conditioning systems, including such areas as minor cleaning, room temperature and building ventilation control; steam, hot water and hot air heating systems; boiler operation; troubleshooting air conditioning system problems, and proper maintenance of air conditioning systems.
- SUPERVISION AND TRAINING – These questions test for the knowledge required by a supervisor to set goals, plan and organize work, train workers in how to do their jobs, and direct workers towards meeting established goals. The supervisory questions cover such areas as assigning and reviewing work, evaluating performance, maintaining work quality, motivating employees, increasing efficiency, and dealing with problems that may arise on the job. The training questions cover such areas as determining the necessity for training, selecting appropriate training methods, and evaluating the effectiveness of training.
A Guide for the Written Test for High-level Custodians is available at the New York State website:www.cs.ny.gov/localtestguides.cfm. Candidates not having access to a computer or the internet may request a copy of the test guide from the municipal civil service office conducting this examination using the contact information found elsewhere on this announcement.
Calculators are pERMITTED for this examination: DEVICES WITH TYPEWRITER KEYBOARDS, SPELL CHECKERS, PERSONAL DIGITAL ASSISTANTS, ADDRESS BOOKS, LANGUAGE TRANSISTORS, DICTIONARIES OR ANY SIMILAR DEVICES ARE PROHIBITED.
Candidates are required to attain a final average rating of 70 in order to be eligible to have their name placed on the eligible list established as a result of this examination. Life on the list will be stated at the time the list is established.
APPLICATION FEE: A $15.00 NON-REFUNDABLE FILING FEE IS REQUIRED FOR THIS EXAMINATION FOR MOUNT VERNON RESIDENTS. The applicable fee is required and must accompany your application. If your application is received without the required fee, it will be considered incomplete and you will not be admitted to the examination. Only MONEY ORDERS will be accepted for the applications fee. The money order should be made payable to the City of Mount Vernon and be sure to write the examination number on the money order. CASH OR CHECKS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED. Because NO REFUND will be made, you are urged to compare your qualifications carefully with the requirements for admission.
FEE WAIVER INFORMATION: A waiver of the application fee will be allowed if you are unemployed and are primarily responsible for the support of a household. In addition, a waiver of the application fee will be allowed if you are determined eligible for Medicaid, receiving Supplemental Security Income payment, or Public Assistance. All claims for an application fee waiver are subject to verification. If you can verify eligibility for the application fee waiver, you must complete a “Request for Application Fee Waiver” form. This form is available in the Civil Service Office and the Cityof Mt. Vernon website www.cmvny.com. You must submit the completed fee waiver form with your completed application.
Applications are available in the Mount Vernon Municipal Civil Service Commission Office Monday through Friday from 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM or send a self-addressed, legal-sized envelope to the Civil Service Commission, Room 103 – City Hall, One Roosevelt Square, Mount Vernon, NY 10550. Applicants may also obtain applications from the City of Mount Vernon’s website at www.cmvny.com. All applications must be returned to the Civil Service Commission Office on or before the application deadline date,
Applications received via mail will not be accepted if postmarked after the closing date deadline of February 4, 2016.
RELIGIOUS OBSERVERS AND DISABLED PERSONS: If special arrangements for testing are required, please indicate this on your application and submit on a separate sheet of paper and attach it to your application at time of submission. You will be notified of the alternate test date which will take place in City Hall.
ALTERNATE TEST DATE POLICY: Alternate test(s) date(s) may be arranged upon review of the circumstances according to the alternate Test Date Policy adopted April 14, 2008 by the Civil Service Commission. Under specific circumstances an alternate test date may be arranged. Your request with written documentation must be received in the Mt. Vernon Civil Service office no later than two (2) weeks preceding the examination. If an emergency prevents you from appearing for the examination, please notify the Civil Service office in writing no later than the Friday before the test date and provide verifiable documentation of the reason. A determination will be made as to if an alternate test date will be scheduled.
It is the responsibility of the candidate to notify the Civil Service Office of any change in name or address.
No attempt will be made to locate candidates who have moved.
THE CITY OF MOUNT VERNON IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER