Please note that marriage licenses are only valid for use in New York State. The license is valid after 24 hours and good for 60 days.
The fee is $40, payable by cash, card or money order.
How to Obtain
Couples must apply for a marriage license in person at the Office of the City Clerk, Room 104 weekdays by appointment and only for Westchester County residents, no walk-ins allowed. For an appointment please call 914-665-2348. If you are more than 10 minutes late for your appointment it will be rescheduled to avoid conflicts with social distancing policies. If you do not speak English please bring a translator with you.
Both parties must provide the following documents:
- Valid Government Issued Photo Identification (Choose any one of the following):
- Current Driver’s License (U.S. only)
- Current State-issued Non-Driver’s I.D.
- Valid Passport
- Original Naturalization Papers
- U.S. Military I.D.
- Certified (raised seal) Long Form (one with parents’ names) Birth Certificate. If the form is in a foreign language, a certified English translation must accompany the original.) If it is a digital certified copy, all pages must be printed out before you come.
- Proof of current address (e.g.-lease, utility bill, or other correspondence)
- If this is not the first marriage, certified copies of all divorces/annulments/death documents must be supplied. If it is a digital certified copy, all pages must be printed out before you come.
A Social Security Card is no longer a required document.
Foreign Language Documents
Any documents in a foreign language must be translated into English by a Certified Translator.
Failure to provide required documents may result in delay or denial of your application.
One - Day Marriage Officiant License
As of March 28, 2023, any person eighteen years old and over can solemnize a Marriage Ceremony in New York State after obtaining a One-Day Marriage Officiant License from the Office of the City Clerk. A One-Day Marriage Officiant does not have to be a resident of New York State. Please click on the appropriate links below for detailed information and application. Please call 914-665-2348 to make an appointment for processing.
One-Day Marriage Officiant License Information and Application in English (click here)
Uno- Dia del matrimonio , La informacion de la licencia del oficiante y aplicaccion en Espanol (precione aqui)
If you have additional questions, please phone the Office of the Mount Vernon City Clerk at 914-665-2348 during business hours.
How to Obtain a Copy of a Marriage License
Who Is Eligible?
Spouses listed on marriage license or a New York State Court Order
Please view the Request for Marriage Certification (PDF). Please note that this form must be notarized; driver license copies will no longer be accepted.